15 Things Never To Feed Your Dogs!

By | August 13, 2017

So your best friend is all kitted out in their favorite NFL Dog Jersey and now you want them to join in on the tail gate party and give them some treats! Fantastic! Awesome Idea!!!!

Did you know that there are a few foods that you should NEVER feed your best friend? For example, not that I ever gave my dog chocolate (I usually guzzled that all myself haha) but I never actually knew that my dog would not be doing very well at all, health wise, if I did decide to share one of my fav treats with her.

So, how many of these foods below did you know are dangerous for dogs?

Sugar and Spice and All Things Nice

Chocolate:  I’ve already mentioned it but this is possibly the most well know of them all – chocolate. Chocolate can affect the lungs, kidneys, central nervous system and the heart. This is due to a chemical called theobromine that acts as a cardiac stimulant.

Now while we’re told that it’s good to eat dark chocolate (it’s better for you and the higher the cocoa content, the better) and your regular milk chocolate is the “baddy” that adds those unwanted pounds, it turns out that the opposite is true for dogs, because the level of toxicity is higher in dark chocolate than milk chocolate.

If you think that you can toss them just a “small bit” of choc, think again. Small amounts of chocolate can cause vomiting, diarrhoea and unusual levels of thirst.

Large quantities can induce tremors, hyperactivity, respiratory failure and cardiac arrest. BAD! BAD! BAD!

Caffeine:  For me, a cup of coffee goes so well with dark chocolate. They just do – especially my fav, Lindt Chilli Chocolate!

Just as dogs are extremely sensitive to chocolate, they are also more sensitive to caffeine than humans. Just a moderate amount of your favorite cuppa, can cause damage to the heart, lungs, kidneys and central nervous system and trigger hyperactivity, vomiting, staggering gait, muscle tremors, and convulsions in your dog.

Sugar: We’ve all heard that “a teaspoon of sugar helps the medicine go down”, except it’s not really the best thing for us or our pets.

Just as too much sugar leads to dental issues, obesity and even diabetes in us mortals, it does so for dogs too.

Xylitol: Do you skip the sugar for your coffee but add a couple sweeteners instead?

Xylitol is a type of artificial sweetener and is commonly found in sugar-free chewing gum and baked goods but when given to your pet dog, it can stimulate the pancreas to secrete insulin leading to hypoglycaemia, disorientation, seizures and even fatal liver damage.

No Sugar and No artificial sweeteners!

Meat and Veges.

Fat trimmings: Okay admit it – you’ve often cut off the excess fat from your ham and steak and tossed it to the dog. I know I have. Well, too much fat given to your dog at one time can cause pancreatitis

Mushrooms: Well, this isn’t so much as giving your dogs mushrooms as it is, giving them the WRONG mushrooms. Just as a dose of Aminita phalloides, commonly known as the death cap, is fatal to humans, the same applies to dogs.

Onions: I can’t imagine why you’d want to give you dog an onion as a tasty treat but just so you know, onions contain something called thiosulphate, which is highly poisonous to dogs and particularly dangerous when raw.

Thiosulphate causes haemolytic anaemia – a fancy term for the destruction of red blood cells, leading to weakness, vomiting, blood in urine and breathlessness.

Note: garlic also contains thiosulphate but it has it in smaller amounts. In moderate quantities, it is safe to give garlic to your dog, particularly when dried. Just as for humans, garlic does have health benefits.

Corn on the cob: this is a sure way to get your dog’s intestine blocked. The corn is digested, but please don’t over do it – be sensible and avoid large quantities. The cob, on the other hand, is not digested and can lodge in the small intestine requiring surgical removal.

Rhubarb and tomato leaves: A friend of ours made the most divine tasting Rhubarb tart. It was so delish!!! Unfortunately for dogs, rhubarb and tomato leaves contain oxalates, which can adversely affect the digestive, nervous and urinary systems. No rhubarb tart for the dogs!

No rhubarb tart for the dogs!

Fruit, Seeds and Nuts

Apple seeds: When I eat an apple, I actually eat the whole thing – core, pips and all. It’s so handy when eating an apple in the car or somewhere where there is nowhere to toss the core when done. Really cool party trick 🙂

Now I did know that the casing of apple seeds contain amygdlin, which releases cyanide, when digested, but it was only in very small quantities. It only really causes an issue in large quantities and, when chewed! but

That said, when giving it to your dog, it’s best to core and seed apples before feeding them to your dog.

Grapes and raisins: a grape skins can contain a toxin created by a fungus that can cause severe liver damage and kidney failure.

Hops: Now these are not an every day grocery item, but if you did happen to have access to these, they can cause panting, an increased heart rate, fever, seizures and even death.

Macadamia nuts: As a general and blanket rule, I don’t give any nuts to my dogs, but in the case of macadamia nuts, poisoning is not usually fatal but it can cause uncomfortable symptoms in dogs such as weakness, drunken gait and joint swelling.

And lastly,

Milk and dairy products: These are not fatal, nor even toxic per se. However, many dogs are lactose intolerant, so unless you like the sound of some really smelly farts and diarrhoea, then try to avoid giving your dogs much by way of milk and dairy products!


And that is it for today. How did you do? Did you have many of those on your list of “never to give my dog” treats? I’d love to know if you have any others that we should be avoiding to give to our dog in the name of treats. Please do leave your questions or comments below. I’d love to hear from you.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *